Friday night I was eating at Champs Family Bakery in Brooklyn and it was pointed out to me that on the board there was a special called the “Pancake Bowl”. I asked about this and it turned out to be a little less interesting than what I had imagined. I resolved that sometime this weekend I would bring into existence what I had in mind.
This morning it happened.
I started with this pancake recipe from VeganYumYum. I made about 8 of those and then I added a bunch more soy milk to thin out the batter. With the thin batter I made the bowl-sized pancakes, plus a few more small ones to put on top.
Then assembly started:
- I started with the thin bowl-sized pancakes and lined the bottom of the bowls with that.
- Next came a layer of bananas and strawberries.
- Third was a layer made up of a few of the thicker pancakes with peanut butter on top of them.
- On top of that went a layer of blueberries and strawberries.
- This was followed by a layer of small pancakes
- And the whole thing was topped off with maple syrup.
For a first effort, everything turned out ok.
[These are numbered so I can keep track, they aren’t ranked]
- 1. Jonathan Mitchell
Two of my favorite stories this year were both produced by Jonathan Mitchell. Both of these I’ve gone back and listened to multiple times. Both I’ve been sitting around with friends and have said, “Ok, you need to hear these right now.”
The first won an honorable mention in the best documentary category at Third Coast:
The second is fictional and was unlike anything I’d ever heard:
- 2. Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
- 3. Santigold
This might be my favorite album of the year.
- 4. Hospitality
As I drove around through October and November, in each city I stopped I checked to see what bands were playing. Finally, as I was passing through Phoenix, I found a band I’d been wanting to see. They were great and I listened to their album throughout the rest of the trip. Their album might also be my favorite of the year.
- 5. A Silent Tornado. A Long, Black Night
This is a piece by my friend Mary Helen Miller. It’s beautiful and sad:
Also, this dark and surprising interview with Siri:
- 6. Call Me Maybe
It’s hard to feel too cynical when this exists in the world:
- 7. Holy Cow Lisa
This, by my friend Bianca Giaever:
- 8. Not exactly new, but new to me. This is the year I discovered Jay-Z
- 9. Glass, Not Glitter
By producer Abby Wendle from This Land Press
- 10. Dancing :)